Variable assignment in sh

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 01:26:10 UTC 2017

On 02/01/2017 06:18 AM, Polytropon wrote:
> Additionally, it helps to write portable scripts (across
> different operating systems), not just for FreeBSD systems

A point here for bash scripting. I earlier used to shebang with the path
to bash :

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

Since my scripts sometimes needed to be ported to Linux and/or Cygwin, I
often hacked the system with a symlink /bin/bash that pointed to the
actual bash. Then I would use the symlink path - that worked under both
FreeBSD and Linux.

But a much better way now exists with env :

#!/usr/bin/env bash

The above shabang always works, no matter what the system, is fully
portable, and is not too much typing either.

Regards
Manish Jain