Poor default fonts in Firefox

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 28 23:51:40 UTC 2017

----- Forwarded message from Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> -----

Whoops, forgot to copy to the list.  Christian, sorry for the
duplicate.

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:02:55 +0000
From: Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>
To: Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de>
Subject: Re: Poor default fonts in Firefox

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 08:14:23PM -0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2017-12-27, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
>
> > I have a normal ports installation and the above page renders fine.
> > Can you please post somewhere a screen of your FF.
>
> http://shell.uugrn.org/~naddy/bbcnews.xwd.xz

It doesn't look bad here, a little feint in the white-on-red menu
items along the top, and similarly in the Sans text.  But my current
local version is similar.

If you download the current page you will see that it includes
https://nav.files.bbci.co.uk/orbit/1.0.0-571.15b54a4/css/orb-ltr.min.css
which uses some BBCReith fonts (Sans and Serif) and these are woff2
fonts, so for everything using those fonts you will get the official
fonts if you allow the page to use them (ISTR somebody mentioned
overriding that).

If you don't let firefox use them, then I assume you will get whatever
you have set as the fonts in firefox's preferences.  If those are
merely Sans and Serif then fc-match will tell you what it is using.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.

----- End forwarded message -----