Running dual boot windows inside of bhyve

Rebecca Cran rebecca at bluestop.org
Wed Dec 27 17:37:28 UTC 2017

On 12/27/2017 10:15 AM, Alan Somers wrote:

> I fear that you may be out of luck.  Windows deliberately frustrates this
> use case by profiling its hardware at installation time and at every boot
> thereafter.  If the hardware changes too much, then Windows demands a new
> license fee.  Moving from physical hardware to a VM would probably trip
> every one of its alarms.

Fortunately modern versions at least allow you to move the installation
to a different machine without requiring a reinstall. You might be told
you need to relicense it, and it will take some time to reconfigure
itself to the new hardware it finds itself running on, but it'll work at
least.

--
Rebecca