How do I recover a lost ports directory with svn?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Dec 27 02:22:24 UTC 2017

Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 02:44:16PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> writes:
>>
>> >                                     Unfortunately the documentation for
>> > svn seems skimpy (at best)
>>
>> Not so. Every command has extensive help, and there's a whole book on
>> the subversion website explaining the concepts.
>
> I get the availability of the book (which I don't have), but I'd hardly claim
> that the provided command help is extensive. Hardly more than traditional Unix
> Usage info.

That's fair. The help messages are enough for me to work out syntax
without going back to first principles, but, yes, that's pretty much
what I expect from a man page.

> Personally, I would much prefer a real man page.

Funny you should mention that. Some years back, I bashed out a script
that turned the svn help into a browsable document. I can't find that
tool in a quick search of my backups, and I don't even remember whether
it converted things into HTML or info files. [As an emacs user, info is
roughly equivalent to HTML for such things; I have no idea how info can
be useful if you aren't using emacs to browse the docs.]

But the point is that I found the cross-link information fairly easy to
parse. And once you can do that, you can turn it into anything useful.

Be full.