How to fix : Cannot extract through symlink

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:37:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

Whenever I try to install any rpm under my Linuxulator (linux_base-c7),
I get the error: cannot extract through <sym>

<sym> can be bin / sbin / lib / lib64, which are symbolic links to
usr/<sym> (under the path /compat/linux/)

Each time I am faced with this problem, I have to delete <sym> and copy
the actual directory in its place. But this is far less than ideal.

1) Is there some way I can avoid the above mess ?
2) If not, there was a time under Unix when hard-linking a directory was
possible. Is there some hack by which I could hard-link directories
under FreeBSD ?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Jain