hd firecuda

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Sun Dec 17 03:25:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 13:09:09 -0500
Stari Karp <starikarp at yandex.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am running FreeBSD on iMac 11,1 and my hard drive is going down. I
> am looking for the new one. First I  look for the same one which is
> 80$ and I found Seagate 2.0TB FireCuda Solid State Hybrid drive which
> is less expensive than SSD drive and for me will be good choice:
> Specifications: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST2000DX002/
>
> I do not know if will be problem with FreeBSD. On computer is the only
> OS FreeBSD.

I write this on a machine running FreeBSD 10 with a FireCuda 2TB drive,
but the 2.5" version. The drive works but its behaviour was not what I
expected.

The SSD part is too small from my point of view. The drive is really
fast when working on a project for which all fits into the 8GB SSD
memory my drive has. It becomes a totally different story when compiling
the kernel or installing large ports. Even a simple 'exit' from a shell
can take a minute when the shell I want to return was moved to the
swap partition. Yes, this one minute is sixty seconds. The same is true
when writing large amounts of data to the drive. The drive becomes
slow, very, very slow.

When the data to be read are not in the SSD part, the drive behaves
like a normal HD when you are not writing large data sets at the same
moment of time.

This is also my second drive. The first one died after less than 15TB
of data had been transferred. Of course, Seagate exchanged it for free.

Both drives showed the same behaviour.

With other words, it is a double sided sword.

Erich