Bhyve + Ubuntu change RAM allocation

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Fri Dec 15 10:48:56 UTC 2017

Hi

I have a ubuntu VM installed under Bhyve, but seem unable to change the
RAM alocation from the current 2GB to 4.

I have managed to create a 2nd VM with this allocation, but would prefer
to just allocate ram to the first one

grub-bhyve  -m device.map -r hd0,msdos1  -M 2048M ubuntu
bhyve  -w -AI -H -P -s 0:0,hostbridge  \
-s 1:0,lpc -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0 \
-s 3:0,virtio-blk,./ubuntu.img \
-l com1,stdio -c 2 \
-m 2048M ubuntu

i;ve updated to be

grub-bhyve  -m device.map -r hd0,msdos1  -M 4096M ubuntu
bhyve  -w -AI -H -P -s 0:0,hostbridge  \
-s 1:0,lpc -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0 \
-s 3:0,virtio-blk,./ubuntu.img \
-l com1,stdio -c 2 \
-m 4096M ubuntu

but it complains about not being able to allocate memory.

The box is a slightly greedy ZFS box, but even adding 10MB to the
alocation above givrs rise to a warning re unable to allocate memory,
failed to start VM.

(and a 2nd VM was installed fine, and both run with the additional ram,
so zfs is releasing ok).

am i missing something?

Paul.