vt(4) iso-8859-1 latin accentuated characters do not show on console

Vitalio D v.dol_s at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:02:28 UTC 2017

Hello, Ben, Polytropon, Steve

Ok got it at the end. As we say in french 'ouf enfin' :)

So yes both MM_CHARSET and LANG are mandatory
CHARSET should be UTF-8
and lang accordingly in my case fr_FR.UTF-8
>From ~/.login_config

me:\
    :charset=UTF-8:\
    :lang=fr_FR.UTF-8:

Drawback is that now all doc is in french :) This is kind surprising that I'm
forced to read a doc in french when all I  wanted is to be able to type some
weird french letters. :) That's why I've missed it first time. I was just setting the
charset but not lang.

valid lang values can be figured out as from handbook by running 'locale -a' command,
and yes there is a fr_FR.UTF-8 entry.
Thank you all.

I'll see if got time to read fdp-primer and submit diff for doc.
Thanks again. You guys rock.