vt(4) iso-8859-1 latin accentuated characters do not show on console

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 21:19:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 at 9:49 am, Vitalio D <v.dol_s at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Polytropon, Steve
>
> Thank you guys for your help. I've figured it out finally.
> So to use vt(4) with accented west European glyphs I had to do the
> following
> in ~/.login_conf
>
> me:\
>     :charset=UTF-8:
>
> in rc.conf
> keymap=fr.acc
>
> Steve, yes the handbook I was trying to read is fr_FR.ISO8859-1. There is
> no fr_FR.UTF-8 handbook unfortunately (at least did not find on svn).
> Also should the handbook (the i18l section) be updated since vt(4) is
> default driver?

Hi Vitalio,

That’s great it’s now working for you!

Do you think you would be able to generate some text to add to the i18l
section of the handbook with your findings about vt(4), and submit it in a
bug report?

You could initially just submit this as plain text, or even better if you
wanted to go the next step, as a diff to the handbook source.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/l10n/

Instructions on how to submit improvements to the handbook are described in
French here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

Regards,
Ben