Boot issue after upgrade

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 21:30:09 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 3:47 PM, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 12/10/2017 2:52 PM, Robert Fitzpatrick via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> Since I upgraded a server from FreeBSD 10.1 to 10.4, it no longer
>> boots to the standard BSD menu. Instead, it kicks me to an OK prompt
>> where I have to 'set currdev=disk0s1a', then boot. How can I get my
>> automatic boot menu back?
>>

> And another bites the dust.....

Hi,

I'm sorry, I've been watching your posts since they started.  I would
suggest you go back to the Linux world and stay there. Having a computer
science degree and understanding things at the bit level, as well as
being a Sr. Sysadmin for over 25 years, quite frankly, a lot of the
points you bring up are dramatically untrue.  I find your postings to be
nothing more than trolling and bashing.

If you choose to be constructive with solutions, I'm fine with that.  If
you choose to be CONSTRUCTIVELY critical, I'm fine with that.  As for
what the user base is, and the all the other things, including the
above, you are grossly misinformed.

I make my salary as a consultant on RHEL and other Linux variants.
Thank <deity> the Linux kernel and its supporting userland is so
unstable and has so many CVEs.  It's going to keep me employed right
through until retirement.  If they were to fix everything (package
dependencies, etc), it would be so much easier to administer by all
these clownish "I got me a certification" people.

Darwin OS from Apple is 90% FreeBSD.  Apple is, by far, the largest
shipper of *nix systems in the world.  Netflix... FreeBSD.  Do some
research, FreeBSD is in more products than you imagine and outstrips the
attempted in-roads by Linux products.... (all 250+ variant OS's based on
the Linux kernel)

I used to be from the era of Slackware.... The stability was terrible.
The Linux following continued to grow due to many who weren't trained in
proper software process and procedure wanting to be 'Tech!  Me, too'.
'Lookee, I writes a program'.  To this day, I laugh at the fact that
RHEL is 3-4 versions behind CentOS as, due to requiring stability, they
can only move forward once it is at the stability level necessary of a
true commercial product... aka pseudo-bulletproof... but still not at
the quality of FreeBSD that can release a x.0 release and have it run
flawlessly.  Also, the CVEs reported over a release lifetime is less
than 10% of those of just the Linux kernel versus and ENTIRE OS that
FreeBSD is, kernel and userland.

The Linux kernel and it's userland just don't stack up.  I have non-tech
people using TrueOS on their desks and small business using FreeBSD for
their file servers.  They can't believe they run for a year before I do
a simple 30 minute upgrade to the next rev... and it goes, again,
flawlessly.

I believe why people are banning you from lists (if they, indeed, are,
which thid community is not in the habit of doing), is due to the toxic
attitude you have and pointing out non-issues that are encountered by
user error.  FreeBSD is rock solid, stable.  Sir, I find you uninformed
and pointing at non-issues.  This list is here to help people with
issues they encounter.  Please stop detracting from that purpose.  The
list is here to help persons with their issues, not listen to trolling
rants.  If you have a question, as per the title of the list, post it
and it will be answered by a courteous, knowledgeable person.  (Since
1998, I have seen little in the way of non-courteous, egotistical,
clueless responses from this community - The same cannot be said of the
times I have to use Linux community lists.)

Please, have a good day, but also, stop pointing at non-issues and
saying "See, lookee!".  Anyone can break anything.  Anyone, uninformed,
who wants to ramp fast and not read documentation, will have issues with
anything.  This is akin to not reading the directions on how to put
something from IKEA together.  Lack of reading directions usually leads
to this list.

P.

---
http://www.avg.com