openvpn & win10 vpn

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Dec 7 13:14:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 17:33:49 +0800
Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my home 11.1 server I have installed the pkg version of openvpn and
> configured it to use certificates. On my windows 10 laptop I have
> installed the openvpn client and configured it. I copied the client ca,
> crt, and key generated on the host to win10. When I connect the win10
> openvpn client the log shows everything is connected ok.
>
> It's my understanding that everything I do on the laptop will pass
> through the vpn tunnel to the host and then access the internet using
> the ip address of the host.

	That depends on the configuration, the openvpn server can be
configured to push a default route in which case (if the client doesn't
decline the push) then all traffic will go across the VPN, but it doesn't
have to be configured that way.

	To find out you can either read the client and server config files
carefully or (do this) point your laptop browser at somewhere like myip.com
and find out what IP address you're using - if it isn't the one you want to
be using then you will have to look at those config files and fix them (feel
free to post them for help).

> Secure Connection Failed
>
>   The connection to www.hulu.com was interrupted while the page was

	That doesn't sound like a VPN problem - not sure what it is though.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>