Question about nvidia driver

emilia at disroot.org emilia at disroot.org
Tue Dec 5 19:00:05 UTC 2017

> Only solution I know of is to put hw.vga.textmode=1 in /boot/loader.conf. Drawback is that you
> don't get graphics mode in your console but old fashioned pre-vt console fonts.

This solution works, switching to a tty is quite slow, but atleast it is usable :)

> There is a problem on account of which you cannot kldload nvidia-modeset
> via /boot/loader.conf. The sure way to kldload nvidia and nvidia-modeset
> by putting this in /etc/rc.local :
>
> kldload nvidia
> kldload nvidia-modeset
>
> If your loader.conf / rc.conf has anything stuff to load nvidia
> [-modeset], remove that stuff.

Never had any problems with loading nvidia drivers via loader.conf,
kldstat shows that the driver was loaded (and X11 would not work anyway, since my config forces the
use of nvidia driver)
Rebooting without those driver and then kldloading them manually had the same issues as just

regards,
emilia