Question about nvidia driver

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 5 17:57:06 UTC 2017

On 12/05/17 22:12, emilia at disroot.org wrote:
> I forgot to mention that i run 11.1-RELEASE, vt schould be enabled per default, i added it to /boot/loader.conf just to be sure though.
>
> As for the nvidia-modeset the X11 server does not start if i have not loaded nvidia-modeset, regardless if i have loaded nvidia alone or not.
> I had nvidia-modeset_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf i have prepended nvidia_load="YES but the symptoms remain the same (after a reboot)
> (i also have linux_load and linux64_load enabled)
>
> regards,
> emilia

Hi Emilia,

There is a problem on account of which you cannot kldload nvidia-modeset
via /boot/loader.conf. The sure way to kldload nvidia and nvidia-modeset
by putting this in /etc/rc.local :

kldload nvidia
kldload nvidia-modeset

If your loader.conf / rc.conf has anything stuff to load nvidia
[-modeset], remove that stuff.

/boot/loader.conf must have this:

kern.vty=vt

Please try the above and reboot. If your problems persist, get back to
the forum. If it solves your situation, I would be grateful if you could
post me a word.

Tx
Manish Jain