Why pkg offers different versions of packages on two machines?

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 23:49:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 at 12:57 am, Rafal Lukawiecki <raf at rafal.net> wrote:

> Apologies for another newbie question. Trying to get my head around
> package management.
>
> If I run "pkg search certbot" using the official AWS FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE
> image it finds:
>
>         py27-certbot-0.16.0_1,1        Let's Encrypt client
>
> but if run the same search using my locally installed FreeBSD, which
> happens to be a slightly older, 11.0-STABLE, I find the newer (which also
> happens to be the current) version of that package:
>
>         py27-certbot-0.17.0,1          Let's Encrypt client
>
> In both cases pkg.conf and the repo config are the same, with all the
> settings at their unchanged by me defaults (url: "pkg+
> http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly”). Both versions of pkg itself
> are the same. As far as I can see, I am resolving to the same mirror in
> both cases, as I see the same IP (213.138.116.73) when I ping
> pkg.freebsd.org.
>
> When I manually navigate to
> http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly/All/ I can see the
> older version of the package (py27-certbot-0.16.0_1,1) on the server. When
> I navigate to the latest tree (
> http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/All/) I can see the newer
> package in there.
>
> Why does my locally installed pkg find the newer version if both configs
> point to the same, quarterly, repo URL?
>
> Many thanks,
> Rafal
> --
> Rafal Lukawiecki
> Data Scientist
> Project Botticelli Ltd

Hi Rafal,

FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT branches use the "head" pkg repo by default,
whilst FreeBSD RELEASE branches use the "quarterly" pkg repo by default.

The 2017Q3 quarterly branch only has py27-certbot-0.16.0_1,1 right now,
whilst the ports head branch has py27-certbot-0.17.0,1.

So you FreeBSD-11 STABLE build must be using the head branch.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com