Does NFS client cache?

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Wed Aug 30 20:13:27 UTC 2017

Apologies for my FreeBSD newbieness…coming from CentOS/Amazon Linux and on a fast knowledge ramp-up at the moment.

I would like to know if the NFS client in FreeBSD performs any/some/none caching of the files clients fetch. I am used to installing fscache (cachefilesd, see http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache/FS-Cache.pdf) on Linuxes, with an fstab mount flag “fsc” to perform persistent caching to the local *disk*. This gives me significant performance improvements on the Linuxes I have used. Is this not done at all, or done in some other way on FreeBSD? I could not find any relevant ports.

The use case is cloud-based servers caching centrally managed NFS files that contain rarely changing config and dev data, however all speed-critical data is locally rsynced.

Many thanks and my regards from Ireland,
Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist and Director