help creating new gmirror > 2TB

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 20:12:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

I want to create a simple mirror > 2TB on a FreeBSD 10.3 system.

I have 2 identical 4TB disks.

The examples in freebsd handbook "geom-mirror" pages show creation of a 2TB
mirror using
MBR partitioning, and that has an upper limit of 2TB.

Some documentation says not to use GPT partitioning with gmirror because
both store their information in the last sector on the disk.

I'm not expert enough to be able to solve this myself.

How do I create a gmirror of 4TB size?

I want to partition it into 4 slices after I create it, but think I can use
gpart to do that.

Note: I'm not interested in using zfs unless there's no way to do this with
gmirror.
I read too many zfs failure stories on this mailing list to be comfortable
with zfs.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Dudley