reread rc.conf without rebooting

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:01:52 UTC 2017

Yuri Pankov wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 10:35:05 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>>
>>> I only know one way to do it: apply each change (one at a time) by
>>> executing relevant command from shell. Why does that not suite you?
>>> You do
>>> test (from shell) what is the effect of each change, right?
>>>
>>> Valeri
>>>

>> You did not understand correctly meaning of post.
>>
>> I added local_unbound_enable="YES" to rc.conf
>>
>> It's my understanding that rc.conf is only read at boot time to config
>> services on host.
>>
>> Question is. Is there some other way to make tis happen without
>> rebooting?
>
> Just (re)start relevant services, e.g., `service local_unbound restart`.
> .

If the local_unbound service is not all ready running the
"service local_unbound restart" command does not work.

My problem is with the built in unbound. Testing has proven that issuing
"service local_unbound onestart" before unbound has been first started
by a reboot is causing config problem generated by unbound first time
only setup script.

In general here is the big picture. unbound replaced bind as the built
in dns application starting with release 10.0. Here we are 5 releases
later and it looks like it has never worked from the get go. The only
people who have used unbound have installed the port version because
they could not get the built in version to work.

I am trying to debug what is wrong with the config setup for the built
in version.

So the answer to my original question is, there is NO way to cause the
rc.conf file to be reread and re-processed without a reboot.