How to block facebook access

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 20 15:37:34 UTC 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 04:41:20PM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:

> > On 8/19/2017 2:20 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> >> Hello list;
> >>
> >> Running 11.1 & ipfilter with LAN behind the gateway server. LAN users
> >> are using their work PC's to access facebook during work.
> >>
> >> What method would recommend to block all facebook access?
> >>

>  > Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
>  > make your proxy just blacklist facebook.com and m.facebook.com?
>  > Blocking it will just let them view it on their phones though, so
>  > you're looking at a different issue altogether.

> Already blocking 15 facebook login ip address which can be added to or
> changes by FB anytime. Do not run a separate proxy on my server. Seems
> like over kill just to block a single domain name. Any other suggestions?

On my own network I block facebook.com, tfbnw.net, fbcdn.net, fbcdn.com,
instagram.com and whatsapp.com on DNS level by returning NXDOMAIN.

I would hazard a guess that *most* facebook users wouldn't be technically
savvy enough to use an IP-adres.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)