Anything specific to keep in mind restoring from rsync?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 19 15:00:17 UTC 2017

On 08/19/17 20:08, Ian Smith wrote:
> However, despite not having used it myself - and still assuming UFS -
> this seems a model job for growfs(8).  The backup first is of course
> sensible, but by just resizing the partition with gpart and then using
> growfs, all that extra work should be obviated, if I'm reading it right.

Hi Ian/others,

That precisely was what I needed to do. Using MBR + UFS, I have :

ada0s1 - Linux 30 GB -> 20 GB
ada0s2 - FreeBSD 30 GB -> 40 GB

In effect the FreeBSD slice starts 10 GB to the left.

But I was unsure whether growfs has the capability to expand the root
filesystem in that manner (starting further to its left). So I just
rsynced my data to a backup.

Since the whole thing took just an hour or 2, I would not say there was
any inconvenience I faced anywhere  : - )

Thanks
Manish Jain