X Windows reload

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Aug 11 06:29:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 23:03:01 -0600, The Doctor wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 06:22:00AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 21:10:19 -0600, The Doctor wrote:
> > > Attempted to reload Xwindows and
> > > once at the screen, everything is frozen no matter which vm I am using.
> >
> > Which VMs are you using? (I assume you're running FreeBSD + X inside
> > a virtual machine, is that correct?)
> >
> > What do you mean with "reload" in this context? Restart X?
> > Switch to virtual terminal ("text mode") and back? Update X?
>
> I assume so.

Okay, let's assume "after upgrade of X". :-)

> > Does "frozen" refer to the X session only, or does the whole
> > OS freeze? If inside a VM, does the VM freeze, too?
>
> X session only.  the VM might not be freezing.

In this case, you should investigate on X. Is a log file
successfully written prior to the system freeze? There
should be one as /var/log/Xorg.0.log - look for "EE" lines
indicating an error.

> > > What needs to be rectified?
> >
> > What did you change in comparison to the state in which
> > everything worked as expected?
>
> XSystem became slightly unstable when the update from 11.0 to 11.1  botched .
>
> Back the server up
>
> then tried to restore filles that were needed.

I'd rather recommend deinstalling the X-related ports first,
then install them again in a "clean manner". With pkg, this
should be very easy, and you'll get the most recent versions
of the required ports. I suspect something went wrong in this
upgrade plus backup/restore process. Having a "known good"
installation will help you avoid this kind of trouble.

After re-installation of X, try again. Make sure you have
also installed all parts you need for VM integration (depends
on the VM you are using).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany