Beaglebone Black + FreeBSD + USB WiFi = WAP?
freebsd at theory14.net
Tue Aug 1 23:05:32 UTC 2017
Is anyone using a BeagleBone Black and USB Wifi as a WAP? If so, what kind of throughput do you get on your Wifi? I’m getting very bad network performance.
- BeagleBone Black rev C.
- Tried with two different USB Wifi Adapters:
- Edimax N150 (small nub type adapter)
- LB Link from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1030)
- Both show as RTL8188CUS chips (via dmesg)
- Wired connection connected for access to my network and internet
- Mostly with the most recent Beaglebone Snapshot of 11.0
- A few quick tests with the 11. snapshot image
- Using nuttcp (over 100Mbps ethernet) between the BB and another machine, I can get ~90+ Mbps in each direction so I don’t think there is an issue with that part of the connection.
- Using the BB as a WAP and connection my iPad I see 1 to 5 Mbps down and < 1 Mbps tested via the Ookla Speedtest app.
- Connecting to my ancient Netgear WAP using the same app and test, I get roughly 10 Mbps in either direction with the same test.
Configs (pretty much taken right from the handbook):
/etc/rc.conf (relevant parts)
ifconfig_cpsw0="inet XX.XX.XX.XX netmask 0xffffff00”
ifconfig_bridge0="addm cpsw0 addm wlan0 up”
Any ideas? Is this just the limit of USB wifi on this board?
More information about the freebsd-questions