Undo GELI

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 26 07:55:47 UTC 2017

On 25/04/2017 18:45, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Tue, April 25, 2017 12:01 pm, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> In my frustration with getting FreeBSD installed on it I forgot where
>> this device was going to be placed and selected encryption for the
>> entire ZFS install.  I now realise that simply is not going to work.
>> Having already extensively configured the unit I am wondering if there
>> is some way to undo this or if I am faced with a complete reinstall.
>
> If no one suggests anything elegant you can just boot off live DVD, mount
> filesystems you currently have, rsync them elsewhere, re-create
> filesystems, ,mount them, rsync everything back, restore boot. (I did it
> that way - for different reason).

If you want the final result to be zfs, but without geli underneath,
rather than using rsync, use "zfs send -R" to create a replica stream
and store it on spare device, recreate the zpool over unencrypted
disk(s), and "zfs recv" into the zpool. That way you get all the file
systems back as you created them, with the same mount points, and only
have to manually recreate the zpool.

--
Unicode allows even more stupid password rules. Your password must
contain at least one of each of: upper case letter, lower case letter,