Accessing UFS partitions from a Macbook

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Sun Apr 23 08:59:12 UTC 2017

excerpt from Ian Smith:

> Considering how BSD-ish it seems in Terminal - df, du and other commands
> working as expected - I was a bit surprised that it doesn't support UFS
> natively, given its heritage.  When I first ran mount it complained - as
> will FreeBSD without an fstab entry - about needing the -t switch, but
> 'mount -t ufs' didn't complain about that but a (not) missing directory.

There might be differences resulting in incompatibility between the versions of UFS in various BSDs, and Mac OS main filesystem is HFS+.

I noticed, after downloading DragonFlyBSD installation image, dd'ing to USB stick, and booting, it could read GPT partition table but was unable to mount any FreeBSD and NetBSD partitions.

Last DragonFlyBSD image I downloaded and dd'ed to USB stick didn't even get through the boot.

FreeBSD and NetBSD were unable to mount the DragonFly USB-stick partition.

There is also the issue of BSD disklabels when using MBR, and one BSD not being able to read the other's disklabel.

Tom