Update questions

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 19 10:07:47 UTC 2017

On 2017/04/19 10:47, Jia Shi wrote:
> When I updating from the version of 10.3-RELEASE-p18 to 11.0-RELEASE,I have
> some problems.
>
> The following text was printed:
>
> The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have been
> downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
> ****.cf
> ***.cf
>
> The following files will be updated as part of updating to 10.3-RELEASE-p18:
> /usr/bin/bspatch
>
> How can I solve it?

This is absolutely normal -- all its doing is saying it isn't going to
overwrite your locally generated sendmail configurations.  That's fine
-- the .cf files are easily regenerated from the .mc files, and you
notice that freebsd-update isn't complaining about updating those.

It will update the stock 'freebsd.mc' or 'freebsd.submit.mc' files,
while leaving the $(hostname).mc or $(hostname).submit.mc files your
configuration is actually built from alone.

After you update you should consider rebuilding your sendmail
configuration.  Merge any desired changes from
/etc/mail/freebsd{,.submit}.mc into your
/etc/mail/$(hostname){,.submit}.mc and then rebuild your sendmail config by

   # make -C /etc/mail all install restart

However, it's quite likely that there won't be any changes you need to
merge, so you can usually just do nothing here.

	Cheers,

	Matthew