Is it possible to update from CURRENT to RELEASE ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Apr 18 10:10:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 09:52:01 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> > On 18/04/2017 08:05, Manish Jain wrote:
> >> I am running FreeBSD 12-CURRENT (amd64) for experimental purposes.
> >>
> >> I noticed at the time 11-RELEASE was announced that FreeBSD documented
> >> how to use freebsd-upgrade to update from 10.x to 11.
> >>
> >> I wish to find out whether it would be possible, when 12-RELEASE is
> >> available, to move from CURRENT to RELEASE ?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this will be possible, but the mechanism will almost
> > certainly have changed.  By the time 12-CURRENT becomes 12.0-STABLE I
> > expect that we will have moved onto packaged base.
> >
> > You can already build a packaged 12-CURRENT.  See
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase for details.
> >
> > Given that, the essentials of the process to upgrade to 12.0-RELEASE
> > would be to add a repo.conf that points at the standard 12.0-RELEASE
> > repository, and then type 'pkg upgrade'
>

> Incidentally, is this fairly weird-looking hack possible : move from
> 12-CURRENT to 11.1-RELEASE ?

That is something you'd probably do from source. That kind of
downgrade should be possible that way. Check out the sources
for FreeBSD 11.1 and follow the instructions in the comment
header of /usr/src/Makefile. However, I don't exactly know
if "make delete-old" does what it says on the can, maybe it
should read "make delete-new"... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany