Is it possible to update from CURRENT to RELEASE ?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 18 07:19:27 UTC 2017

On 18/04/2017 08:05, Manish Jain wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 12-CURRENT (amd64) for experimental purposes.
>
> I noticed at the time 11-RELEASE was announced that FreeBSD documented
> how to use freebsd-upgrade to update from 10.x to 11.
>
> I wish to find out whether it would be possible, when 12-RELEASE is
> available, to move from CURRENT to RELEASE ?

I'm pretty sure this will be possible, but the mechanism will almost
certainly have changed.  By the time 12-CURRENT becomes 12.0-STABLE I
expect that we will have moved onto packaged base.

You can already build a packaged 12-CURRENT.  See
https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase for details.

Given that, the essentials of the process to upgrade to 12.0-RELEASE
would be to add a repo.conf that points at the standard 12.0-RELEASE
repository, and then type 'pkg upgrade'

	Cheers,

	Matthew