portmaster -r failure

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sun Apr 16 00:42:21 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I was updating some ports and got the following message:

===>  Checking if py27-setuptools already installed
===>   Registering installation for py27-setuptools-32.1.0_1 as automatic
Installing py27-setuptools-32.1.0_1...
pkg-static: py27-setuptools-32.1.0_1 conflicts with py27-setuptools27-32.1.0 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file
: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/easy-install.pth.dist

So I did
   portmaster -r devel/py27-setuptools

but I get the same error.
Isn't the point of -r to get around this problem?

So then I did
   portmaster -e py27-setuptools27-32.1.0
and when it asked if I wanted to delete all the dependencies,
I replied "y"

However, that did absolutely nothing, and left everything installed with
the same old dependencies.

obviously I'm doing something wrong.  Hints?
(I may have the above commands slightly wrong, i.e. omitting the devel/
at the front of py27-setuptools; don't have the output anymore.)

Gary