Is it possible to load saver without reboot ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Apr 14 14:54:11 UTC 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 14:49:09 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> As part of my experiments with my tertiary box (FreeBSD 12-CURRENT
> amd64), I am trying an apparently weird thing : load the saver without
> rebooting. I configured the beastie saver by running 'bsdconfig console'
> (although I could have just as well simply edited rc.conf myself).
>
> Normally, beastie would be expected to run only when I reboot. But in
> theory, it should be possible to load the saver without rebooting.
>
> Anyone has any tips ? Thanks.

If I understand the mechanism correctly, the beastie saver
is run depending on the kernel screen saver module. When this
module has been loaded with kldload, the saver functionality
should be enabled - when all other dependencies are met, just
as /etc/rc would execute them when the system boots (rc.conf
entries, service configuration and start for console). It
should be possible to do this manually without rebooting.
Just check which steps are involved during boot.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany