cannot change password for an ordinary user

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Apr 14 10:34:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:35:42 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On 11.0-RELEASE-p9, passwd command
> seems to exit with no error for an ordinary user,
> but the passwd is not updated, i.e. after passwd
> has exited, this user can login only with the old
> password, not the new.
>
> I found this thread:
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/49802
> which suggested to use pwd_mkdb.
>
> I decided to check first, and got:
>
> # pwd_mkdb -C /etc/passwd
> pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
> pwd_mkdb: at line #3
> pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
>

> Should I be worried?

No, but use the correct program invocation:

	# pwd_mkdb -C /etc/master.passwd

That is the _actual_ password file. The "pwd_mkdb" program will
use it to create the appropriate db files.

See "man pwd_mkdb" for details.

> And how can change my ordinary user's password?

Usually the "passwd" program is being used. Directly by the user:

	% passwd

Or by root for a user:

	# passwd <username>

Check "man 1 passwd" and "man chpass" for additional information.

The use of this program will cause the databases to be updated
(see above).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany