Efi/mbr freebsd-11.0-RELEASE-p9 unbootable

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 02:38:17 UTC 2017

Dear freebsd users,

I got a used toshiba-laptop with windows 7.  A friend of mine gave me a new
hard drive and we installed void-linux with a 1GB /boot partition, an 8 GB
swap partitionx and a 100GB / for the install.  Installation suceeded, but
grub install failed some ttx? Error.  I then got a regular x86_64 amd
freebsd 11.0 RELEASE and installed it sucessfully as well.  I did not get
questioned to install bootloader. When booting the machine tries to boot
off the network.  I get a supergrubdisk and boot off it and I am able to
run freebsd-update on it get it to -p9 and install pkgs that I want to
run.  I am not very fond of secure boot and I had installed linux on
another machine with windows 7 and it supposedly had EFI support, however
when grub installed, i lost the ability to boot into windows.  In this
machine a toshiba satellite laptop, I tried to play it safe and instead
cannot boot either void-linux or freebsd from the hard drive.  I can boot
into freebsd with supergrubdisk, i don't believe it is a question of EFI
because I had previously installed DragonflyBSD 4.8 which has support for
EFI and I selected it as well, but the system was unbootable as well.  How
should I troubleshoot this?  I can boot from live media, but I cannot
install grub or the freebsd bootloader.  Hard drive is 465 GB, with the
above mentioned linux partitions, the rest for freebsd with ufs.  If there
is a how to, or a laptop wiki on this topic, I appreciate all your help
even if it would be recommended that I reinstall the OS again from
scratch.  I am confused with GPT vs old style MBR which just worked TM by
the way and this secure boot crap which renders our machines unbootable.

Best Regards,

Antonio