Setting up a minimal KDE

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Apr 12 02:56:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:45:36 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Manish Jain wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Manish Jain wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > As for the DHCP problem that remains outstanding, this is what my
> > rc.conf has :
> >
> > ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.94 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
> >
> > That rc clearly states that I need a static configuration. But dhclient
> > still runs at system startup, losing me over a minute each time.
> >
> > Regards
> > Manish Jain
>
> What makes you think dhclient is running at boot time?
>
> You previously stated "Because my network interface is statically
> configured." What that means is your isp issued you an static ip address
> that you purchased and as such there is no auto host configuration offered.

That isn't neccessarily the case. The IP 192.168.1.94 suggests
that he's behind some kind of router/switch/whatever that has
been configured to use static IPs. It's possible to do so even
if your ISP hands you a "random" IP every time you connect. If
the connection device doesn't offer DHCP services, then of course
running dhclient won't bring any success. :-)

> I would guess that what you are experiencing is a dns timeout during the
> boot process. When you are issued a static ip address from your isp
> there is more manual configuration needed than just what you did in
> rc.conf. You also have to manually configure the /etc/resolv.conf file
> with the isp's two dns ip addresses. Did you do that?

Valid point. Without DHCP, this file is usually being maintained
manually.

A precise check of _when_ during the boot process the delay does
occur would be a helpful indicator of _what_ is causing the delay.
DNS might be such a thing.

> Also 192.168.x.x is reserved for private LAN use. That ip address is not
> routeable over the public internet and was never issued by your isp as a
> static ip address. I hope you just used that for the post to not expose
> your real static ip address other wise you have bigger problems that
> what you have posted.

Or it's just one of the cases where your ISP makes you use a device
to connect that is more than just a simple DSL modem. For example,
I'm using a Fritz!Box to connect to my ISP, and behind that box,
everything is 192.168.*.*. The box itself contains a DSL modem, a
phone "splitter" (so I can connect ye olden POTS phones as well as
one ISDN S0 phone), a switch for 4 network sockets, a DHCP server,
a router, a WLAN facility, a "port redirector and mapper" and many
other more or less useless things maintained in software. I can use
both DHCP and (to be precise: or!) static IP configuration for the
devices I connect.

Therefore, ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.94 netmask 255.255.255.0"
could be a totally valid setting. However, such a setting on its
own does not cause dhclient to be called, nor does it cause a delay
during boot; a different configuration hick-up might, though. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany