Is there a database built into the base system

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Apr 7 00:17:27 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 05:14:40PM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
[...]
> inbound source ip address hits my front door. Have 3 flat text files
> containing about 2000 ip address having a record size of 30 bytes.
> I am afraid I may be approaching the max file size that csh can handle.
> Thinking of simple db where the 3 files are indexed and can be
> read/written with out sequentially process all the records. At the
> proof of concept stage.

If I had problem processing 2000 records (or 60 kilobytes) on a
machine less than 20 years old, I would definitely rethink my
strategy/algorithm.

> I have programmed in pear script before where I can open a file and
> process a record sequentially where only the next record is
> buffered. csh does not have that kind of file handling that I know
> of.
>
> You have any suggestions?

I understand you need to run this under base system (because you want
no ports). I guess you need to do "man awk" - it seems to be the only
language capable enough in such environment. Albeit if you are
masochist, you can stay with csh or learn sh (and sort, cut and few
other things).

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola