Is there a database built into the base system

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 6 20:41:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:00:25 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Looking for a simple database thats comes with the base system, is there one?
> >
> > There's likely an old flavor of BerkeleyDB around if you just need a key-value store.
> >
> > If you're looking for a SQL database, start with SQLite (cf databases/sqlite3 port),
> > and then look towards MySQL or Postgres.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> BerkeleyDB sounds like something to look at. Did a "locate Berkeley" cmd
> and nothing popped out. Is it called something else?

Check "man db" (or "man dbopen") for introduction. The header
file /usr/include/db.h has additional details.

> Writing csh scripts [...]

No. Just no. Don't write C shell scripts. I did it. Once.
It was terrible (and the result still works). ;-)

More details here:

http://sc.tamu.edu/help/other/CshProgrammingConsideredHarmful.html

> [...] manipulating text files containing lists of IP
> address.

If your data has a more or less specific format (like CSV), you
could use awk for that task. But maybe a database tool like the
BerkeleyDB is better in many aspects.

> Don't want any port as a required dependent.

Good approach for dealing with firewall-related programming (which
is a "OS-mostly" thing).

> I though I
> remembered that BerkeleyDB came with the base system, but can not find
> what its named.

It's basically an API to system libraries, not a specific program
called by the user.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany