Freebsd as a mail server - good spam filtering

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Wed Apr 5 18:10:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-05 12:23 pm, merlyn at stonehenge.com wrote:

> Christoph> I' m wondering what email server solutions Freebsd server
> Christoph> operators are prefering these days.
>
> Christoph> Especially with respect to good anti spam measures.
>
> postfix and subscribing to mailroute.net.  It's worth a few bucks a
> month to completely outsource your spam/virus scanning.

You might also want to look into http://www.mxguarddog.com/ they use a
token method of providing services, they can be purchased or earned
simply by putting a link on your web site. I have been using them free
of charge for my personal web site and mail server since 2012 with just
have a single mailbox though. I have had pretty good results with spam,
however it does take a few minutes for them to process messages during
the busy times of the day sometimes. I chose to use their tagged subject
line option instead of a quarantine for spam viruses do still get
quarantined.

For what its worth I use Cyrus-Imapd along with SASLAuthd and Sendmail,
access email either through my iPhone/iPad, or Roundcube in the browser.
Roundcube has a sieve plugin that works great in redirecting the spam
tagged items to the spam folder and is simple to manage through the web
interface. I recently added OpenDKIM for tagging outbound email with
DKIM keys. Though I am sure you will find almost everyone has a
different set of tools they prefer to use.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer