FreeBSD long term support (Post 11.0)

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 2 20:40:03 UTC 2017

On 02/04/2017 20:34, Paul Macdonald wrote:

> Am i correct in thinking that for long term support its now more
> advisable to install STABLE as opposed to RELEASE builds?
>
> i.e From: https://www.freebsd.org/security/
>
> "Under the new support model, each major version's stable branch is
> explicitly supported for 5 years, while each individual point release is
> only supported for three months after the next point release."
>
> We've traditionally always installed REL builds, but for example all our
> 11.0-REL installs look to be EOL'd within 2 months
>
> /*WARNING: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8 is approaching its End-of-Life date.*//
> //It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer release within
> the next 2 months.//
> /
> Additionally is there still no way to switch from STABLE->REL, or
> REL->STABLE via freebsd-update?
>
> thanks
> Paul.

No.  You just need to readjust your thinking.  Instead of installing
10.3 and sticking with that for 3 years, you get to install 11, and
stick to that for 5 years, although you will get minor updates from 11.0
to 11.1 to 11.2 at the appropriate times.   ie.  it's the major branch
that is supported.

The warnings about 11.0 imminent EoL are premature -- that shouldn't
have happened until 11.1 was actually out.  No need to do anything about
it just yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew