[Mildly OT] Userland Control Of getbostbyname()

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 30 14:38:50 UTC 2016

On 2016/09/30 15:20, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Thanks Matthew, that's kind of what I figured.  The fundamental requirement
> for my use case is that all the config changes be do-able without root
> or sudo access.  It's sounds like this is not possible short of - as you
> point out - writing custom query code.  This breaks the other half of
> my use case - existing code should just run and use the newly selected
> resolver.  Sigh ...

You generally can't change the configuration of a server at this level
without root level access.   Even if you had write access to
/var/unbound/forward.conf, you'ld need also need root level access in
order to signal the unbound process to re-read its config.

This is a job for sudo(8) -- if not, then you're going to have to
explain to your management that whatever they want investigated will
take very much longer than it needs to, since you'll be spending a large
amount of time waiting for some sysadmin to make these changes on your
behalf.

	Cheers,

	Matthew