upgrade to 10.3R ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Sep 28 15:21:23 UTC 2016

With the looming passage of 9.3R into EOL status (snif), I am looking at
upgrading this box to 10.3R. Right now I am using raidframe RAIDs for
some of my filesystems (/usr & /home). With the upgrade & subsequent
good experience w/ ZFS on 2 other systems, I will probably switch to ZFS
for this box as well. That brings up a question. There are many online
URLs with dire warnings about using ZFS & non-ECC RAM causing data
corruption (this box is a commodity desktop w/ non-ECC RAM), see for
example:

http://louwrentius.com/please-use-zfs-with-ecc-memory.html
http://serverfault.com/questions/673163/why-is-the-use-of-zfs-without-ecc-ram-not-recommended

& others, search for 'ZFS ECC' & you will be inundated. I am in fact
using ZFS & non-ECC RAM on the other 2 boxen mentioned above, BTW. 2
questions:

1. Are these concerns valid, i.e. founded in fact ?
2. If so, should this be mentioned in the wiki or website somewhere ?

TIA & have a good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III