PPPoE client with a public IP range

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue Sep 27 15:35:26 UTC 2016

Hello list,

PPPoE (as client) seems easy enough to set up as per
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html
but what I'm trying to get my head around is how do I make use of my
five real IPs?

So for example, on my freebsd client there's two network cards, rl0 and rl1.

rl0 plugs into the LAN port of a dsl modem/bridge that outputs PPPoE.

I want traffic from the LAN facing NIC (rl1) to be able to access the
internet and vice-versa. Output from rl1 to the LAN goes into an
(unmanaged) switch. A couple of machines with fixed public IPs (and
their own firewalls) plug in there, and also a wireless router that
serves private IPs via DHCP.

How (and where) do I configure rl1? I presume in rc.conf, maybe I need
PF as well, but what's the syntax for an IP range?

Does rl0 need to be given an IP?

thanks,
--
J.