geli setkey n 1 anomaly :: or am I missing something

Shamim Shahriar shamim.shahriar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:01:32 UTC 2016

Good afternoon all, I am having some difficulty with geli. I am trying to
set up an encrypted provider for my users, using the setkey feature, but it
is not working.

system: FreeBSD 11-RC3

from the man page
     Create an encrypted provider, but use two User Keys: one for your
     employee and one for you as the company's security officer (so it is
not
     a tragedy if the employee "accidentally" forgets his passphrase):

           # geli init /dev/da2
           Enter new passphrase:   (enter security officer's passphrase)
           Reenter new passphrase:
           # geli setkey -n 1 /dev/da2
           Enter passphrase:       (enter security officer's passphrase)
           Enter new passphrase:   (let your employee enter his passphrase
...)
           Reenter new passphrase: (... twice)

Following this path, I have encrypted a provider, ada0p4

# geli init -e aes-xts -l 256 -K geli.key /dev/ada0p4

Enter new passphrase:   # I enter my passphrase
Reenter new passphrase: # I re-enter my passphrase

all is good.

Now, I am trying to set up the passphrase for the colleague
# geli setkey n 1 -k geli.key /dev/ada0p4
Enter passphrase:       # entered my passphrase
Enter new passphrase:   # entered colleague's passphrase
Reenter new passphrase: # re-entered colleague's passphrase

As I try to attach using colleague's passphrase, I get a Wrong key error.
My key works fine.

# geli attach -k geli.key /dev/ada0p4
Enter passphrase:   # I put colleague's passphrase
Wrong key

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. any pointer will be greatly
appreciated. If you require further information, please do not hesitate
to ask.

Thanks and regards