OpenGL over X11/SSH

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Thu Sep 22 06:54:36 UTC 2016

On 09/22/16 05:17, Polytropon wrote:

> If I understand the messages correctly, the OpenGL output requires
> direct rendering (DRM) instead of a software renderer.

Ok, but why?
Is this a requirement an X client can impose?
An option in some port?
A sysctl?
...?

I see other programs giving the same message, but then proceed with
software rendering.

> The DRM/DRI
> task is being performed directly on the hardware the program is
> running on and maybe cannot be redirected to a remote X system.

Being a headless server, I don't think I've enabled DRI on this box... I
don't load any related kernel module and I don't even have an Xorg.conf.
BTW, I forgot to mention this is 10.3/amd64.

> The somehow direct access to the hardware maybe cannot be tunneled
> over X11/SSH.

Ok with this; I'd just like to avoid DRM/DRI at all.

> The messages indicate that the DRM device cannot be
> found and the r600 (Radeon?) driver cannot be loaded.

There is no Radeon card on the headless box; the CPU is an i5 (with
integrated GPU) and that's all.
I've got a Radeon on the client (i.e. where the X server runs), but does
this matter?

> This is a quire early error of libGL.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

> On the other hand, if you use software rendering, it _should_ work.

Exactly as I thought.
So the question is: how do I force software rendering?

  bye & Thanks
	av.