OpenGL over X11/SSH

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Sep 21 15:51:03 UTC 2016

Hello.

I apoligize if this is a FAQ, but I could not find any useful pointer.

I'm used to connecting via ssh to a couple of "heavy duty" servers on my
LAN; I've got X11 forward working and in fact I usually run emacs,
xterm, sometimes even FireFox.

Now I need to try an OpenGL-based program, but I'm not able to get it right.

> % glxinfo
> name of display: localhost:11.0
> libGL error: failed to open drm device: No such file or directory
> libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
> libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
>   Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
>   Serial number of failed request:  46

AFAICT this should work, albeit without hardware acceleration, which is
fine to me since this is only going to be a test.

Any help?

  bye & Thanks
	av.