Nagios reports its own host as DOWN

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:12:06 UTC 2016

 >Hi,
 >
 >I installed nagios4-4.1.1_5,1 on a FreeBSD 10.3 jail. (It's my first
 >time with Nagios)
 >
 >I managed the core to show up as working, and the system now lists its
 >first host (the one it is installed on) -- as DOWN.
 >
 >Small wander, because the way it checks this is by pinging "localhost"
 >(/sbin/ping -n -c 5 127.0.0.1 ), although ping is disabled in my jail
 >(as per default), and its localhost address is changed to 127.0.0.3.
 >
 >How can I correct this checking? I found there is a script for checking
 >FreeBSD jails
 >(https://exchange.nagios.org/components/com_mtree/attachment.php?link_id=1859&cf_id=24)
 >but, again, I can't find any hint of how to use it or whether it can
 >help me at all. Will I be able to check services on jails of other
 >machines?
 >
 >Thanks for any advice,
 >
 >-Alnis

Ok, sorted out by myself, sorry for the noise.

1. Although I already changed the localhost's address in /etc/hosts on
the jail, Nagios doesn't respect it. It needs the address defined at
/usr/local/etc/nagios/objects/localhost.cfg.

2. If I'm going to use this jail as a Nagios host, I'll need the ping
enabled anyway for checking other hosts, so I enabled it. Now the Nagios
host appears as UP.

-Alnis