Server gets a high load, but no CPU use, and then later stops respond on the network

Ståle Kristoffersen chiller at driftfun.com
Wed Sep 21 09:25:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-20 at 12:18, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
<snip>
> It worth to get working remote console first.
>
> With Supermicro server you usually have two options:
> 1. IPMI Serial over LAN
> 2. IP-KVM provided by BMC
>
> 1. IPMI SOL can be used from other BSD/Linux host using ipmitools
> ipmitool .... sol activate
>
> IPMI SOL should be configured on both IPMI (via ipmitool) and server
> (/boot/loader.conf, /etc/ttys).
>
> 2. IP-KVM can be accessed using Java application from BMC web interface
> or using IPMIView:
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/Linux/
>
> Which method do you use?

I am using IP-KVM using the web interface.

> Is keypress repeated always or only when server is overloaded?

Only when the server is in the bad state. Normally everything is fine, and
I have no problems using it. Maybe SOL will have a better chance of working
when the server is in the bad state. I'll try to configure it and see what
happens.

> Anyway both methods should work, but has own issues:
>
> 1. Remote user for ipmitools can be activated only via web interface
> (and NULL user can't be used). Default user ADMIN work via ipmitool too,
> but I wanted to create separate users.
>
> 2. Java app from server's BMC web interface works only with some JRE
> versions (long time ago it worked only with Sun/Oracle JDK and failed to
> work with OpenJDK). IPMIView worked better for me (with less glitches)
> than app from BMC web interface. I recommend to use IPMIView.

Ok, I'll also try to get IPMIView working, and see if that changes anything

> 3. It is more reliable and secure to use dedicated IPMI LAN port on server.

I am using the dedicated LAN port, so that shouldn't be a problem.

--
Ståle Kristoffersen