Relapse to 80x25 text mode from X

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Sep 20 14:29:58 UTC 2016

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 641, Issue 3, Message: 15
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 23:59:43 +0200 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

 > When I initially installed X on my "new" Lenovo Thinkpad R61i,
 > after leaving X (or after switching to text mode with the
 > key combination Ctrl+Alt+PF1) the screen would still show
 > the X image, leaving me "blind" at the console. Changing
 > the sc driver to vt solved that problem, but opened a new
 > one: The text mode font is tiny and unreadable.
 >
 > What is the preferred way of keeping the console in 80x25
 > mode _and_ being able to switch from/to X?
 >
 > My /boot/loader.conf currently contains:
 >
 > 	kern.vty=vt
 > 	kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1280x800"
 > 	hw.vga.textmode=1
 > 	i915kms_load="YES"
 >
 > In /etc/rc.conf I have tried
 >
 > 	allscreens_flags="-f gallant"
 >
 > as suggested somewhere, but that just slightly increases
 > the font size (still more than 80x25) and looks ugly.
 >
 > The laptop contains an Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 GPU. The
 > screen has a physical size of 1280 x 800 pixels.
 >

 > In other words: Is it possible to relapse to the default
 > behaviour of 80x25 sc and X that has worked for decades?
 > If yes, how?

I don't know but I'd like to, and I don't know but I'd like to, too.

Hugely behind, I was just quickly scanning this month's archives at
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2016-September/thread.html
when I noticed this poor lonely little message, unreplied to.

And of course searching that page for 'Poly' shows 14 messages tonight
from you helping others, as usual, plus this one.

I still use sc on two older laptops, but saw quite a few messages about
this, perhaps on stable@, but didn't wind up grokking a clear solution
or I'd have clipped it.

So this is just a dreaded 'bump' .. someone/s must know all about this?

cheers, Ian