How to choose from multiple audio devices

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:38:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am FreeBSD 10.3 amd64, a system which owing to some haphazard
shopping, now has 2 audio cards - one onboard Realtek and one add-on CMI
card (PCI).

With both cards hooked/enabled, I get sound from the CMI card. How do I
tell applications to send audio content into the onboard Realtek device
instead ? Currently the CMI card grabs everything, and I do not know how
to configure things such that the Realtek card becomes the audio output
device.

With my current setup :

# cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm2: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm3: <Realtek ALC887 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm4: <Realtek ALC887 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm5: <Realtek ALC887 (Onboard Digital)> (play)

Thanks for any help
Manish Jain