Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Sep 14 21:10:08 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-14 at 21:25 +0100, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> It seems to me that if you want to maximize the life of a consumer
> drive you have to let it spin-down.

I used several drives with computers that were turned off and on several
times a day. Those drives only last for around 2 years. My current
internal non-green drives are often running for 8 days, before I turn of
the home computer, their running times are already around 4 years, their
lifetimes are older.

Most, if not all my drives that get borked, couldn't release the heads
anymore. Btw. if you need to get data from such a drive, that wasn't
backuped, you could use a hammer or something similar and hit the drive,
to release the heads.

Regards,
Ralf