Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:57:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:03:49 +0100, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
>I do almost everything like that on tmpfs.

That was my suggestion, too. However, it has got one pitfall, the size
of tmpfs. At least on Linux a swap doesn't help, if tmpfs should run
out of space. Anyway, I nearly compile everything in tmpfs with just
1.9 GiB, just sometimes I enlarge it to 3 GiB or directly use the hard
disk. A kernel not necessarily fails, but could fail to build with
just 1.9 GiB, something like Firefox fails with 1.9 GiB, but at the
moment I can't remember that 3 GiB ever was too small. I've got 4 GiB
or RAM, but a little bit less is available, so a modern machine with
much more than 4 GiB RAM should allow to chose a huge enough tmpfs.

Regards,
Ralf