Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 14 03:20:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 22:38:55 +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>(Speaking of WD Green, not WD in general) it is true, unless you run
>their utility (DOS only!) which disables this "feature".
>However the drives will tend to fail in a short time all the same.

That perhaps was true for some older drives, that spin down after a few
seconds, but it anyway required something to wake up the drives again.
Howvere, it's untrue for those drives that are just a few years old. My
spins down after 30 minutes, and stays a sleep , if no evil software
touches it. I never had to use a tool, which anyway wouldn't have
worked, because it's an USB device.

>> IOW the green WD drives do exactly what is required by the EU
>> Regulation
>
>???

By an EU Regulation all external drives must go to sleep after a while.

>> just some software is bad programmed. Don't use this
>> software. nOt the drives, the software is bad.
>
>Don't use the drives: no point in spinning up and down; besides, as I
>said, I had 4 of them and even if I disabled this brain damage, they
>all died within one year.

I already explained why this happened. The spins for your drive might
not have happened within seconds after using this utility, but as for my
drive, when using bad software, what I usually don't do, every 30
minutes or something around this. I bought my WD green drive 2013-02-27
and never had an issue, IOW it's nearly 4 years old. As already pointed
out, I don't use gvfs, smartd and similar software that touches the
drives and enforce a spin up, directly after the drives goes asleep.

You spread FUD about WD drives.

Regards,
Ralf