Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

markham breitbach markham at ssimicro.com
Tue Sep 13 22:31:49 UTC 2016

I've always had pretty good results from the WD-RE drives, and I've had
many of them operating under much less than ideal conditions. I have had
a few of them fail out on me through the years, but not <40K hours.

Model Family:     Western Digital RE3 Serial ATA
Device Model:     WDC WD5002ABYS-01B1B0
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   015   015   000    Old_age
Always       -       62319

Model Family:     Western Digital RE3 Serial ATA
Device Model:     WDC WD7502ABYS-02A6B0
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   020   020   000    Old_age
Always       -       58855

Model Family:     Western Digital RE3 Serial ATA
Device Model:     WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B0
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   029   029   000    Old_age
Always       -       52014

I am currently using some RED drives as an rsync daily backup target for
a couple dozen servers, so needless to say these guys are under pretty
heavy load.  The RED are a tad on the slow side, though, and generally
seem to have a higher failure rate.

Model Family:     Western Digital Red (AF)
Device Model:     WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   060   060   000    Old_age
Always       -       29803

-Markham