Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:38:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:48:22 +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>Experience with Western Digital makes me very afraid of "green" hard
>drives.

The WD green drives are ok, as long as you don't use KDE, GNOME or a
desktop environment that does use gvfs or a similar virtual file system
that wakes up the green drive as soon as it spin down. You either need
to remove gvfs or similar mechanism or touch the drive before it gets to
sleep. Smartd is another culprit that make green drives spin down and
up again and again. Be also careful with udisks.

Until now I only found one coder that was willing to fix this issue:

https://github.com/lxde/libfm/commit/994a1e25ba0c3da80575fc002af17ab02ed5998b

The coders of the big desktop environments claim that WD drives are bad
and spin down and up again and again, but this is not true. My goes to
sleep after around 30 minutes and stays asleep until it gets touched. I
also was in contact with WD. Even if you don't use e.g. KDE, but just
one time run K3b the issue appears.

IOW the green WD drives do exactly what is required by the EU
Regulation, just some software is bad programmed. Don't use this
software. nOt the drives, the software is bad.

Regards,
Ralf